6 Healthy Foods for Less Than $1 Per Serving
News reports regularly tout the benefits of the latest “superfood” – a nutrient-rich food that’s especially good for your health and well-being – but some of these items are too pricey for the average grocery budget. However, there are many other foods that can be found in nearly every grocery store in America that are equally healthy and still affordable. Here are some healthy foods that each ring in at under $1 per serving, according to the American Heart Association.
- Apples. This favorite lunchbox fruit is rich in antioxidants and fiber, while being relatively low in calories. Researchers believe consuming apples can reduce one’s risk of cardiovascular disease, certain cancers, diabetes and asthma.
- Lentils. Cooked lentils are a great source of dietary fiber and protein, which means they can leave you feeling fuller longer and aid in appetite control. One study found eating lentils may reduce inflammation, which is associated with everything from heart disease to cancer.
- Oats and oatmeal.Oats are 100% whole grain and an excellent source of soluble fiber in the diet. In addition to lowering cholesterol, soluble fiber helps to keep blood sugar levels under control.
- Oranges. Just one orange delivers a full day’s value of vitamin C, along with beta carotene and many other nutrients. Oranges also contain fiber and water to keep you feeling full while packing only around 70 calories each.
- Eggs. Despite getting a bad rap for containing high cholesterol, eggs are loaded with lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids, nutrients which are essential for normal body function and heart health.
- Pears. Pears are filled with antioxidants that reduce the risk of developing diabetes, cholesterol and certain cancers. Just one pear (skin included) contains 15% of the daily recommended amount of fiber.
For more about healthy food choices and meal planning tips, visit Eating Well – a RediClinic health partner!
Better Heart Health Starts at RediClinic
If you have a personal or family history of heart concerns, RediClinic offers a comprehensive selection of heart health tests to help measure your risk for heart disease. In addition, we conduct many other health screenings that can provide an in-depth assessment of your overall health.