6 Pumpkin Nutrition Facts You Didn’t Know
Fall’s signature squash is more than a decoration for doorsteps or a carveable craft project – it also offers an impressive list of health benefits. The vitamin- and nutrient-rich flesh and seeds of pumpkin can help you see better, improve heart health and even lose weight! Eat up as you read about the perks of this fall superfood.
- Pumpkin is good for your eyesight. One cup of cooked, mashed pumpkin contains more than twice the recommended daily intake of vitamin A. Vitamin A protects the cornea, the surface of the eye, and allows you to see in low-light conditions.
- Pumpkin seeds are good for the heart. Like many seeds, pumpkin seeds pack a big nutritional punch. They contain plant compounds which have been shown in studies to reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol. They also are a good source of a variety of nutrients ranging from manganese and magnesium to zinc, copper and protein.
- Pumpkin seeds help boost the immune system. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc, a mineral that is essential to immune function to fight infection more effectively. It also increases killer cells that combat cancer and supports wound healing.
- Pumpkin seeds make you feel fuller for longer. Shelled pumpkin seeds contain 7 grams of dietary fiber per ounce, while one cup of canned pumpkin delivers about 7 grams. This fiber helps keep you fuller for longer, which can reduce hunger and lower calorie intake.
- Pumpkin and pumpkin seeds help reduce cancer risk. A large study found that eating pumpkin seeds was associated with a significantly reduced breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women. Other studies have included pumpkin as part of a diet that reduces the risk of lung, breast, colorectal and prostate cancers.
- Pumpkin seeds might give your mood a boost. Pumpkin seeds are a natural source of L-tryptophan, an amino acid which may improve mood and may even be effective against depression.
Find a variety of healthy pumpkin recipes at Eating Well!
Focus on Your Health at RediClinic
RediClinic can help you stay motivated in your quest for a healthy lifestyle with comprehensive health screenings to assess your current health status. RediClinic’s board-certified clinicians also provide a broad range of additional preventive services. Make an online appointment and be seen at your convenience, seven days a week!
Summer season is in full swing with long sunlit days and high temperatures around the clock. For some folks, summer means fun in the sun while others seek out ways to stay cool and comfortable. Whether you love summer or just endure it, there ...