A Fresh Start to Fall Fitness
With summer coming to a close, a new school year in full swing and pleasant weather coming our way, you may have the sudden urge to make a healthy change, whether by stepping up your fitness routine or choosing to eat right. Before you begin those first steps this fall season, there are two key tools that should accompany your workout.
- A workout journal. Be sure you have a workout journal on hand. It’s just as important as a food journal. In order to know how many calories you should eat to reach your goal, you must know how many calories you have burned.
- A heart rate monitor. Understanding your target heart rate, which zone you should be training in, and logging the amount of time you spend in each zone is key to burning fat and losing the last few pounds. One way to easily monitor your heart rate is to use a heart rate monitor. Local sports stores carry quality monitors. Once you have your new device, locate your fat burning zone and a training program appropriate for you and your goals.
Here are several other ways to reach your goals:
- Buddy up. Find a buddy or co-worker to work out or walk with – preferably someone that’s accountable and committed to keep you on track.
- Track your steps. Wear a pedometer and walk 10,000 steps a day.
- Do AM cardio. Cardio in the morning forces the body to burn more fat and revs up your metabolism.
- Add resistance training. This should be done 2-3 days a week.
- Be a weekend warrior. Don’t just increase your activity, resist weekend temptations.
- Find the furthest parking space. Park in the last space in the parking lot and walk.
- Drop and give me 10. Every time you open the cookie jar or tub of ice cream, get down and do 10 push-ups or sit-ups. Doing something physical can put you back in touch with your body and your goals.
- Get your rest. Make sure you have at least one rest day scheduled during the week.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water at all times throughout the day.
For one-on-one health and wellness support, make an online appointment at your nearest RediClinic. RediClinic offers a wide range of health screenings and preventive services to help you live healthy.
Check out our latest blogs on eating healthy!
Recently, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has saturated the fitness industry. If done on a consistent basis, HIIT produces almost immediate results. It’s a great way to drop extra pounds and get in shape in no time, and with no equipment n...