Cheers to Your Health! Healthy Holiday Food Substitutes
Don’t let the holidays be a time when your healthy eating habits stop. Holiday cooking can still be tasty and healthy! This holiday season, start a tradition of making your holiday recipes healthier through simple substitutions. You’ll hardly notice you’re eating well, and you give yourself better odds of still looking and feeling great come January.
Party While Eating Healthy
- Mashed potato dishes are high in carbs and most are high in calories thanks to added cream and butter. Substitute cauliflower for the potatoes for a similar taste and texture that’s low in calories and high in nutrition. If you don’t want to go entirely potato-free, replace a third of the potatoes in your favorite recipe with cauliflower.
- Use applesauce in place of sugar in baked goods such as cookies, cakes and sweet breads. Applesauce has more sweetening power than sugar and far fewer calories. One cup of sugar contains more than 700 calories, while an equal amount of applesauce has only 100. In addition, applesauce also gives you vitamins, minerals and fiber that refined sugar does not.
- The traditional green bean casserole recipe can pack as much as 600 calories and 30 grams of fat into a one-cup serving. Make this holiday staple healthier by using fresh green beans that are not overcooked (overcooking reduces the fiber content). Try lower-sodium soup and trade the whole milk or cream for skim milk. Try this Healthy Green Bean Casserole recipe from EatingWell magazine.
- Substitute whole-grain flour, pasta and breads for those made from refined white flour. Replacing white bread with whole grains will help increase your fiber, vitamin, mineral and protein intake, and keep you feeling full for a longer period of time.
- Limit alcohol consumption to one serving per occasion. Calories from alcoholic beverages can add up and encourage you to eat more than if you weren’t drinking. Have a favorite drink or two, then switch to sparkling water. Drink responsibly.
We’re Redi When You Need Us This Holiday Season
This holiday season, your local RediClinic is here to help with a wide range of healthcare services. If you overindulge, turn to us to help relieve your digestive issues. Feeling an itchy throat? Our board-certified clinicians can diagnose your illness and prescribe medications as appropriate. And before you join with coworkers, friends and family to celebrate the season, make sure you’re protected by getting a flu shot!
Our patients enjoy the convenience of making an online appointment and being seen the same day or next day, seven days a week. We’re Redi when you need us this holiday season!
If you’re reading this, the start of a new school year may have motivated you to make improvements to your health. Chances are you really want to make good food choices that will properly nourish your body and contribute to a healthy lifestyle...