Cheers to Your Health! Healthy Holiday Food Substitutes
Don’t let the holidays be a time when your healthy eating habits stop. Holiday cooking can still be tasty and healthy! This holiday season, start a tradition of making your holiday recipes healthier through simple substitutions. You’ll hardly notice you’re eating well, and you give yourself better odds of still looking and feeling great come January.
Party While Eating Healthy
- Mashed potato dishes are high in carbs and most are high in calories thanks to added cream and butter. Substitute cauliflower for the potatoes for a similar taste and texture that’s low in calories and high in nutrition. If you don’t want to go entirely potato-free, replace a third of the potatoes in your favorite recipe with cauliflower.
- Use applesauce in place of sugar in baked goods such as cookies, cakes and sweet breads. Applesauce has more sweetening power than sugar and far fewer calories. One cup of sugar contains more than 700 calories, while an equal amount of applesauce has only 100. In addition, applesauce also gives you vitamins, minerals and fiber that refined sugar does not.
- The traditional green bean casserole recipe can pack as much as 600 calories and 30 grams of fat into a one-cup serving. Make this holiday staple healthier by using fresh green beans that are not overcooked – overcooking reduces the fiber content. Try lower-sodium soup and trade the whole milk or cream for skim milk. Try this healthy green bean casserole recipe from Eating Well.
- Substitute whole grain flour, pasta and breads for those made from refined white flour. Replacing white bread with whole grains will help increase your fiber, vitamin, mineral and protein intake, and keep you feeling full for a longer period of time.
- Limit alcohol consumption to one serving per occasion. Calories from alcoholic beverages can add up and encourage you to eat more than if you weren’t drinking. Have a favorite drink or two, then switch to sparkling water.
High-Quality, Convenient Health Care at RediClinic
This holiday season, don’t face the temptations alone! RediClinic offers a wide range of health screenings to help you evaluate your overall health and inspire you to make lifestyle changes if needed. Our patients enjoy the convenience of making an online appointment and being seen the same day or next day, seven days a week.
Find your nearest RediClinic walk-in clinic.
Researchers studying heart health have found that where you live may influence whether you develop heart disease later in life. Their findings were published in the latest edition of Circulation. (more…)