Do You Know How to Stop the Spread of Cold & Flu at Home?
Just because a family member comes down with the sniffles doesn’t mean everyone else has to get sick too. During the cold and flu season, there are many steps you can take to ensure germs do not spread throughout your household. Here are some simple strategies to enact at the first sign of illness.
- Wash your hands often. Proper handwashing stops the spread of germs most effectively. Scrub for at least 20 seconds using plain or antibacterial soap and rinse with running water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Teach good coughing and sneezing habits. Remind those with a cough from respiratory flu or a cold to cover their mouth and nose with a tissue. Viruses are spread primarily through tiny droplets that can be dispersed six feet or more by a cough or sneeze. If a tissue is not available, the sick person should sneeze or cough into the crook of the elbow, not the hands, to keep germs from being spread by touch.
- Disinfect surfaces. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as remote controls, computers, phones, doorknobs and faucet handles. Wash towels, bedding, cups, dishes and utensils thoroughly to prevent the spread of germs from one person to another.
- Steer clear of those who are sick. If possible, avoid close contact with a sick person. Set up a room where he or she can be quarantined until 24 to 48 hours after fever breaks to contain the virus. If you must care for a sick child, it’s essential to practice good health and prevention habits. If you develop flu-like symptoms, consider seeking care at RediClinic within the first 48 hours of onset of symptoms. This allows for optimal antiviral prescribing if necessary.
- Boost your immune system. Take care to eat healthy, exercise, stay hydrated and get adequate sleep so your body is in prime condition to fight off infection.
Get Healthy With RediClinic
If you become ill with symptoms of a cold or respiratory flu, head to your nearest RediClinic. Our board-certified clinicians can determine what is causing your symptoms and provide the appropriate treatment to help provide immediate relief. RediClinic is open seven days a week, including extended weekday hours. Make an online appointment at your nearest location today!
When you’re on a tight budget, preparing healthy meals that don’t taste like cardboard may seem like an impossible goal. But healthy eating doesn’t have to be expensive! RediClinic’s health experts understand the importance of diet and nutriti...