This Movember, You Can Change the Face of Men’s Health
The Movember campaign is a fun way to raise awareness about men’s health issues and encourage men to live happier, healthier and longer lives. Here’s what you need to know about this observance.
What Is the Movember Foundation?
The Movember Foundation is a charity that was founded in 2003 with a commitment to help “change the face” of men’s health. Each November, Movember supporters grow moustaches to raise awareness about men’s health issues. The movement has spread across the globe, starting conversations about some of the biggest health issues that affect men, including prostate cancer, testicular cancer and suicide prevention.
Over the past 15 years, the Movember Foundation has raised over $800 million and funded over 1,200 men’s health projects benefiting men around the world.
What You Can Do for Men’s Health
- Join the movement. Sign up at Movember.com.
- Grow and champion the moustache for 30 days. Use your moustache to inspire conversations, donations and real change.
- Everyone can contribute to the effort to stop men from dying too young. Challenge yourself to get physically active and move. Commit to walking or running 60 miles during November. This number represents the 60 men lost to suicide each hour.
- Get together for a Movember event and have a good time. Hosting a “Mo-ment” gives you the chance to mingle with friends and raise much-needed funds for men’s health.
- Take charge of your health. Get regular health screenings so health problems can be detected and treated early.
Know Your Numbers With Health Screening Services
Health screenings are a wonderful way for both men and women to gain an overall assessment of health. Screenings available at RediClinic include blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, liver and kidney function, complete blood count and body mass index. Men should talk to their clinician about prostate cancer screening and whether they should have a PSA blood test*. African-American men and men with a family history of prostate cancer are at higher risk. A PSA blood test is available at RediClinic.
If you or a loved one is interested in health screening services, make an online appointment to be seen at RediClinic today. Clinics are conveniently located inside select H-E-B stores and Rite Aid Pharmacies.
* RediClinic clinicians do not perform physical exams for prostate screening.
While there is no vaccine for the common cold, there are a number of helpful steps you can take when you experience that first sniffle, sneeze or cough. Read on to understand how to stop a cold at the first sign. (more…)