New Year, New You: Resolve to Get Healthy
Every new year you probably make the resolution to get healthy, only to lose motivation by March. Many people have the same challenge. Just remember that you really can turn your healthy living goals into reality! Here are some ideas to help.
- Set realistic goals. If you hate running, setting the goal to run a marathon is probably not the best goal for you. If you love certain foods, resolving to completely cut them out will only make you want them more. Think about what you want to improve and follow a realistic plan to achieve your goal. Try to break the goal down into specific steps to accomplish.
- Get a health screening. Seeing your health numbers in black and white can be tremendous motivation to make meaningful health changes. A men’s or women’s health screening offers an overall assessment of health by evaluating cholesterol, blood glucose, blood pressure, kidney and liver function, body mass index and more.
- Get a physical. Before beginning any new diet or exercise program, it is a good idea to get an annual physical to ensure that you can safely participate in the activities that you have planned. Your clinician may encourage you to seek further medical attention for existing conditions, or to get current on vaccination recommendations.
- Just move. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity each week, including muscle strengthening activities on two days of the week. Look for fun ways to move more, such as dancing, hiking, swimming, yoga, spinning or walking with a friend.
- Don’t quit. There will be challenges as you attempt to reach your goals. You will be too tired to get up for an early-morning workout. You will get hungry and tempted to hit the drive-thru for a quick bite. When these times come up, identify what you can do to overcome this barrier. If one of the steps in reaching your goal is too hard to accomplish, break down the step further. Instead of quitting, settle for progressing slower. Slow and steady finishes the race.
Get a Fresh Start at RediClinic
With determination, you can make healthy changes that last a lifetime. Find help on your journey to better health at your nearest RediClinic. Our clinics are open seven days a week. Make an online appointment or walk in today!
Recently, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has saturated the fitness industry. If done on a consistent basis, HIIT produces almost immediate results. It’s a great way to drop extra pounds and get in shape in no time, and with no equipment n...