The Top 10 Reasons to Join the Great American Smokeout®
If you are currently a smoker, November could be the start of a new you! The American Cancer Society has designated the third Thursday of each November as the Great American Smokeout®, with the goal of encouraging smoking cessation for 24 hours – or for a lifetime. As this year’s campaign message proclaims, “You don’t have to stop smoking in one day. Start with day one.”
You already know the many dangers of smoking – cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States – so let’s take a look at the rewards associated with quitting, according to the American Cancer Society.
The Rewards Start the Day You Quit
- Your breath smells better, teeth stop yellowing and the smell in your hair and clothes fades.
- Your senses of taste and smell return to normal.
- You can be in a smoke-free building without having to go outside to smoke.
- Climbing stairs, housework and other day-to-day activities leave you less breathless.
- You no longer endanger those around you with secondhand smoke.
- You’ll have more spending money. If you smoke two $10 packs a day, you will save $600 every month and $7,200 per year!
- Quitting lowers your risk for developing diabetes, lung cancer, other cancers, heart attack, stroke and chronic lung disease.
- Quitting helps stop the damaging effects of tobacco on your appearance, including premature skin wrinkling, gum disease and tooth loss.
- One year after quitting, your risk for heart disease will be half that of someone who still smokes. After 15 years of not smoking, your heart disease risk will be the same as a non-smoker.
- Quitting will help you live longer and enjoy a higher quality of life.
Learn more about how to establish a support system to help you quit.
Stop Smoking for Good® With RediClinic
So go on, make November 15 the first day of a new and better you! If you are looking for a quit smoking program to provide ongoing support, go to your nearest RediClinic for a Stop Smoking for Good® visit. At RediClinic, our board-certified clinicians can deliver the best available smoking cessation treatment to help you quit for good.
National Nutrition Month®, sponsored each year by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, was established in 1980 in response to growing public interest in nutrition. National Nutrition Month promotes education and awareness on the importance of m...