Sitting is the New Smoking
Living a sedentary lifestyle has been linked to various types of disease, cancer and health risks such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. A sedentary lifestyle can be defined as not moving and/or usually sitting. Beware if you are that 8 to 5 desk-bound employee, even if you get in an hours workout a day. That just won’t cut it. According to recent research, living a sedentary or “sitting” lifestyle is just as harmful to your health as smoking, even if you’re running 3-4 miles a day before a long day of work.
Try not spending most of your day sitting at your desk, in front of the computer. Here are a few tips to work in some activity during your work day, along with ways to stay fit when you are sitting at the desk:
- Raise your desk or worktable and stand. Standing activates more muscles and increases blood flow compared to sitting.
- Sit on a stability ball. Sitting on a stability ball is a great way to keep your core in shape and your posture in check.
- Take the stairs, always. Taking the stairs increases your number of steps and also builds leg muscles and gives your cardiovascular system and quick stimulation.
- Move your feet. Many companies are catching on and allowing employees to purchase a desk treadmill, cycle or elliptical that allows you to move under your desk while working.
- Drink more water. Make it a point to get up and walk to the water fountain and drink at least one cup of water every hour.
- Stretch it out. The benefits of stretching are an increase in blood flow, injury prevention, and a decrease in chronic pain.
- Set reminders. Set an alarm on your computer or smart phone to prompt you to move every 20-25 minutes. This helps increase circulation and your metabolism.
Take control of your health. Get up, get out and get moving – it can save your life!
Recently, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has saturated the fitness industry. If done on a consistent basis, HIIT produces almost immediate results. It’s a great way to drop extra pounds and get in shape in no time, and with no equipment n...