Sitting is the New Smoking
Living a sedentary lifestyle has been linked to various types of disease, cancer and health risks such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. A sedentary lifestyle can be defined as not moving and/or usually sitting. Beware if you are that 8 to 5 desk-bound employee, even if you get in an hours workout a day. That just won’t cut it. According to recent research, living a sedentary or “sitting” lifestyle is just as harmful to your health as smoking, even if you’re running 3-4 miles a day before a long day of work.
Try not spending most of your day sitting at your desk, in front of the computer. Here are a few tips to work in some activity during your work day, along with ways to stay fit when you are sitting at the desk:
- Raise your desk or worktable and stand. Standing activates more muscles and increases blood flow compared to sitting.
- Sit on a stability ball. Sitting on a stability ball is a great way to keep your core in shape and your posture in check.
- Take the stairs, always. Taking the stairs increases your number of steps and also builds leg muscles and gives your cardiovascular system and quick stimulation.
- Move your feet. Many companies are catching on and allowing employees to purchase a desk treadmill, cycle or elliptical that allows you to move under your desk while working.
- Drink more water. Make it a point to get up and walk to the water fountain and drink at least one cup of water every hour.
- Stretch it out. The benefits of stretching are an increase in blood flow, injury prevention, and a decrease in chronic pain.
- Set reminders. Set an alarm on your computer or smart phone to prompt you to move every 20-25 minutes. This helps increase circulation and your metabolism.
Take control of your health. Get up, get out and get moving – it can save your life!
Every new year you probably make the resolution to get healthy, only to lose motivation by March. Many people have the same challenge. Just remember that you really can turn your healthy living goals into reality! Here are some ideas to help. ...