Urinary Tract Infection (UTI )
$109† or Dr. Office copay
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are a class of infection involving any part of the urinary or renal system. While most UTIs involve the bladder and urethra, any of the structures through which urine passes on its way out of the body can be affected:
- Kidneys (acute pyelonephritis)
- Bladder (cystitis)
- Urethra (urethritis)
In adults, common symptoms of urinary tract infections include:
- Pressure, cramping or discomfort in the lower abdomen or lower back
- Increased frequency of urination
- A persistent urge to urinate
- Pain or a burning sensation when urinating
- Cloudy, bloody or foul-smelling urine
- Tiredness and lethargy
- Muscle aches
In young children, signs of a UTI can include fever, vomiting, loss of appetite and irritability. Symptoms will vary depending on severity. Read more about symptoms of urinary tract infection in children.
Causes & Risk Factors
UTIs are usually caused by E. coli, which is naturally found in the colon. Other types of bacteria that can cause infection include Chlamydia and Mycoplasma.
Infections result when there is an imbalance of bacteria in the body or when the bacteria that gets inside the urinary tract does not get eliminated through urination.
Factors that tend to increase one’s risk of UTI include:
- Prior urinary tract infection
- Advanced age
- Bowel incontinence
- Urinary surgery
- Urinary tract abnormality
- Enlarged prostate
- Insufficient fluid intake
- Use of urinary catheters, diaphragms or tampons
- Sexual activity
UTIs are diagnosed through urinalysis, which may be followed by a urine culture. The first test checks for the presence of bacteria, white blood cells, red blood cells and other substances in the urine that can signal an infection, while the second identifies the type of bacteria behind the infection.
UTIs do not tend to be serious, but they need to be nipped in the bud to prevent them from coming back and causing complications. If you’re seeking medical care for a UTI, schedule an appointment online to visit a RediClinic near you. Look for us at select H-E-B grocery stores and Rite Aid pharmacies.
- Very knowledgeable and professional employees that I have encountered today. Did not have to wait long at all.
- YelpConvenient for a useful, but limited set of things.
- Very simple, easy and effective treatment. In and out in 30 min. Thanks!
- Wonderful experience!
- YelpGreat staff and great service. The staff was helpful, polite and the doctor was attentive to my needs.
At RediClinic, we offer Get Healthy services to diagnose, treat, and prescribe medications (when appropriate) for common illnesses and injuries in adults and children over the age of 18 months.
At RediClinic, you will always receive the best care from our qualified clinicians. Some of the Live Healthy services we provide are Physicals, Vaccinations, Health Screenings, Diabetes Testing, etc.