Vomiting and diarrhea
$109 or Dr. Office copay
Vomiting and diarrhea are symptoms of an underlying illness or condition. Combined, they can be harmful because they can cause you to lose too much fluid.
The most common cause of vomiting and diarrhea is gastroenteritis, also known as the stomach flu. In most healthy adults, gastroenteritis resolves itself within a matter of days.
- Viral gastroenteritis – common causes include norovirus and rotavirus
- Bacterial gastroenteritis – common causes include Yersinia, Staphylococcus, Shigella, Salmonella, Campylobacter, and E. coli bacteria
Vomiting and diarrhea can also result from foodborne illnesses and eating too many hard-to-digest foods. There are times, however, when they can indicate more serious conditions. Always contact your physician or visit Rediclinic if you have concerns. Find out when to visit an ER.
Dehydration is the most serious complication resulting from vomiting and diarrhea, and it can be difficult to spot until the patient has been dehydrated for a while. Keep an eye out for the following symptoms:
- Decrease in urine volume and frequency
- Significant darkening in urine color
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Dry mouth and tongue
- Absence of tears when crying
- Inelastic, pale or mottled skin
- Sunken eyes
- Cold hands and feet
- Rapid heartbeat
- Muscle cramps
Medication isn’t typically necessary to treat vomiting and diarrhea, although they may offer temporary relief. In some cases, medication may interfere with the body’s healing process, so consult a clinician before taking this course of action.
If you or a loved one needs medical care for conditions related to vomiting and diarrhea, schedule an appointment online to visit a RediClinic near you. Our clinicians can assess the situation to recommend the appropriate course of treatment. Look for us at select H-E-B grocery stores and Rite Aid pharmacies. Our clinics are open seven days a week, including extended weekday hours.
When to Seek Emergency Medical Attention
Seek emergency medical attention if you have signs of severe dehydration, difficulty speaking or swallowing, muscle weakness, dry mouth, blurred or double vision. You’ll also want to seek medical care immediately if you have the following symptoms:
- Severe diarrhea for more than two days
- Vomiting for more than one day
- Black, tarry or bloody stool
- Sudden, severe belly pain
- Very knowledgeable and professional employees that I have encountered today. Did not have to wait long at all.
- YelpConvenient for a useful, but limited set of things.
- Very simple, easy and effective treatment. In and out in 30 min. Thanks!
- Wonderful experience!
- YelpGreat staff and great service. The staff was helpful, polite and the doctor was attentive to my needs.
At RediClinic, we offer Get Healthy services to diagnose, treat, and prescribe medications (when appropriate) for common illnesses and injuries in adults and children over the age of 18 months.
At RediClinic, you will always receive the best care from our qualified clinicians. Some of the Live Healthy services we provide are Physicals, Vaccinations, Health Screenings, Diabetes Testing, etc.