Td (Tetanus & Diphtheria Vaccines) at RediClinic – $75 (Adult) / $86 (Child)
Why get vaccinated?
Tetanus and diphtheria can be very serious diseases.
- Tetanus. Tetanus or lockjaw causes painful muscle spasms and stiffness, usually all over the body. It can lead to tightening of muscles in the head and neck so the person cannot open his mouth or swallow, or sometimes even breathe. Tetanus kills about one out of five people who are infected.
- Diphtheria. Diphtheria can cause a thick gray film to cover the back of the throat. It can lead to breathing problems, paralysis, heart failure and even death.
These diseases are caused by bacteria. Diphtheria is spread from person to person. Tetanus enters the body through cuts, scratches or wounds.
The United States saw as many as 200,000 cases a year of diphtheria and pertussis before vaccines were available, and hundreds of cases of tetanus. Since then, tetanus and diphtheria cases have dropped by about 99% and pertussis cases by about 92%.
Children six years of age and younger should get DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus & Pertussis Vaccine) to protect them from these three diseases. Learn more.
Vaccines for Adolescents & Adults: Td and Tdap
Older children, adolescents and adults need protection against these diseases too. Two vaccines are available to protect people seven years of age and older.
- Td vaccine has been used for many years. It protects against tetanus and diphtheria.
- Tdap vaccine was licensed in 2005. It is the first vaccine for adolescents and adults that protects against pertussis as well as tetanus and diphtheria.
A Td booster dose is recommended every 10 years. Tdap is given only once.
Which vaccine, and when?
Ages 7 through 18 years:
- A dose of Tdap is recommended at age 11 or 12. This dose could be given as early as age seven for children who missed one or more childhood doses of DTaP.
- Children and adolescents who did not get a complete series of DTaP shots by age seven should complete the series using a combination of Td and Tdap.
Age 19 years and older:
- All adults should get a booster dose of Td every 10 years. Adults under 65 who have never gotten Tdap should get a dose of Tdap as their next booster dose. Adults 65 and older may get one booster dose of Tdap.
- Adults (including women who may become pregnant and adults 65 and older) who expect to have close contact with a baby younger than 12 months of age should get a dose of Tdap to help protect the baby from pertussis.
- Healthcare professionals who have direct patient contact in hospitals or clinics should get one dose of Tdap.
Protection after a wound:
- A person who gets a severe cut or burn might need a dose of Td or Tdap to prevent tetanus infection. Tdap should be used for anyone who has never had a dose previously. Td should be used if Tdap is not available, or for:
- Anybody who has already had a dose of Tdap,
- Children 7 through 9 years of age who completed the childhood DTaP series, or
- Adults 65 and older.
- Pregnant women who have never had a dose of Tdap should get one, after the 20th week of gestation and preferably during the 3rd trimester. If they do not get Tdap during their pregnancy they should get a dose as soon as possible after delivery. Pregnant women who have previously received Tdap and need tetanus or diphtheria vaccine while pregnant should get Td.
Tdap or Td may be given at the same time as other vaccines.
- Very knowledgeable and professional employees that I have encountered today. Did not have to wait long at all.
- YelpConvenient for a useful, but limited set of things.
- Very simple, easy and effective treatment. In and out in 30 min. Thanks!
- Wonderful experience!
- YelpGreat staff and great service. The staff was helpful, polite and the doctor was attentive to my needs.
At RediClinic, we offer Get Healthy services to diagnose, treat, and prescribe medications (when appropriate) for common illnesses and injuries in adults and children over the age of 18 months.
At RediClinic, you will always receive the best care from our qualified clinicians. Some of the Live Healthy services we provide are Physicals, Vaccinations, Health Screenings, Diabetes Testing, etc.